Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Come away to a quiet place and rest awhile."

   This is my "hermitage" for the next two weeks in the beautiful Glendalough valley.  After the hectic scene at the airport and the stressful drive out of Dublin, I arrived to a place of incredible beauty and peace.

   I am settling into the solitude and quiet and will take my time exploring the monastic settlement nearby.  I plan quiet walks and reading and evenings by the little fireplace in the cottage.

   I feel like I've taken a big breath and the calm serenity I experienced on Iona has returned.  I think everyone should have place they can retreat to, their own hermitage, when the world is too much with them.

In order to understand the world, one has to turn away from it on occasion. - Albert Camus

   I feel myself slowing down here.  Perhaps it is fatigue from battling the illness that I have carried with me on this journey, a most unwanted traveling companion!  I am feeling better but still not 100%.  I will allow myself to enjoy the tranquility of this place and not worry about rushing to see everything I can.  I will see what I need to see, of that I am certain.  I have a lot to think about over the days ahead as I meditate on my final threshold.


3 comments:

Mystic Meandering said...

I love your hermitage! and surroundings... It all sounds delightful! Silence and Solitude - Yum :) Maybe this place and time of deep rest will help restore your body to wholeness... Enjoy!

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Christine. It has been a struggle for sure. But this place so amazingly enveloping, one feels better just being here!

kimmanleyort said...

It does look like a beautiful place for silent contemplation.