Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Pilgrim's Vade Mecum....

   In Latin, Vade Mecum translates into English as "goes with me".    Ancient pilgrims would often take these little books with them on their long and arduous journeys.  They were bound and wrapped in leather and tied by means of a cord to the pilgrim's belt.

   This is where we get the tradition of a handbook...a small volume of useful information.  The pilgrim's vade mecum could include any information the pilgrim felt important for their journey.  This might include maps, prayers, and recipes for herbal remedies.

   For my threshold pilgrimage next year, I plan to make my own vade mecum.  Since book arts is another passion of mine I think it would be fun to make a tiny volume to take along with me.  I am inviting my blog readers to send me a short quotation that might be meaningful for me to read as I make this trip.  You might send a quote on "thresholds" or journeying or any other inspiration you'd like.  I'll write them in my little book.

    This way, you, or at least your thoughts, can walk along with me.  You can send them via the comments option or email me if you'd rather do it that way.  I would like, symbolically, to take along as many of you as I can.  So send along a quotation for me to include in my vade mecum and we'll make this journey together.


 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Patrica, a quote for your fade mecum:
"If the light is in your heart, you will find your way home." - Rumi

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Paul! This is a lovely quotation and Rumi is a favorite of mine...it will be wonderful to have you and Rumi travel with me next year!

Mystic Meandering said...

What a wonderful idea, Patricia! Nothing pops into my head at the moment, but I will find a good quote for you and send it... It is so important to support each other on our "journeys", and what a perfect medium you have created! :)

Patricia Turner said...

I look forward to seeing what you send me to add to my vade mecum!

foxysue said...

Following on from Paul's quote:
“We have a lamp inside us. The oil of that lamp is our breathing, our steps, and our peaceful smile. Our practice is to light up the lamp.”
Thich Nhat Hanh ...x

Patricia Turner said...

Lovely quotation Sue! It certainly fits the theme of this journey. Our walking should be what defines and enlightens us.

Patricia Turner said...

Oh thank you John..that is a perfect quotation for the contemplative photographer!

Unknown said...

Dear Patricia,

I've been following your blog for nearly a year (and we are both dancing monks) yet haven't left a comment until now, so apologies for that, I've been searching and praying about the right thing to inscribe in your vade mecum (and as a Medieval scholar in a past life how I love your revival of this custom) ....

I think I might have found something near what I want to say to you and pray for you in Ann Gray's poem 'The long way round'. I can't find a text version but here is her reading the poem

http://www.thresholds.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Ann-Taking-the-long-way.mp3.

I can post a rough version, without line markings, here if this link doesn't work, let me know.

With many thanks for your continued accompaniment along the way for those of us attempting to follow the contemplative path in photography and spirituality.
Kate

Ps you can find me at shotattenpaces.blogspot.co.uk

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you so much, Kate! I loved the reading and I will chose a passage to inscribe in my vade mecum. Your comment was very timely as I've just finished making a vade mecum to bring to Christine Valters Paintner (of Abbey of the Arts fame) when I'm in Ireland next month. So you see, more synchronicity!