Friday, May 16, 2014

Corcomroe Abbey Reflections...

   I spent some wind swept time at the Corcomroe Abbey, one of my favorite places to photograph in the Burren.  I was able to have the place totally to myself, one of the benefits of traveling off season.

   This is the effigy of Connor O'Brian, the grandson of the 12th founder of the abbey.  Buried to the left of the high alter, he has laid tranquil and undisturbed for centuries.

    The landscape around the Abbey has remained essentially undisturbed as well.  As I sat there I could hear the cuckoo's distinctive call and the wind whistling through the ruin.  It was such a timeless feeling.

   I didn't make very many photos this time.  I'd missed photographing the effigy on my last visit, caught up as I was in the atmosphere of the place, so I wanted to record that peaceful face and that strangely shaped arm!  It is very easy to get so entranced by a location that you forget to "record" it. This is certainly that kind of location.  This day I was, again, content to just sit and soak in the energy.  One can almost hear the chanting monks!  I was happy to just contemplate and not worry about the photography part!

   Unfortunately, I've had a set back health wise. I spent a couple of hours in a clinic getting a new round of medication.  I will just need to get myself to Cork airport today and my friends will meet me at Glasgow airport.  I will welcome some time to rest and let the medication kick in.  The amazing thing about yesterday was how I was able to find everything I needed.  The man in the parking lot that got me the coins I needed for the parking, the taxi that appeared out of no where when I couldn't walk another step, and the clinic that took me right in and ordered what I needed, no waiting.  It bordered on the miraculous.  This too shall pass....


2 comments:

Mystic Meandering said...

Am sorry to hear that you are still so sick! How wonderful that your friends would fly in for you! Wishing you wellness - soon :)

Patricia Turner said...

I call them my "angels"! I was so lucky they were on hand. Feeling a wee bit better this morning, May 17th, as I go out to celebrate my 65th birthday!