Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Visit to St. Colman's Well...

   The highlight of my stay in the Burren was our journey to St. Colman's well and cave.  To say it was a magical location is not to do it justice.  The mystical presence of the place took one's breath away.  If fairies do exist, they would live here for sure. 

   After a 3/4 of a mile walk through the magnificent stonescape of the Burren, you enter a wooded glen of moss covered ancient trees and ferns. The woods were full of wildflowers and the air dripping with mystery.  You almost found yourself whispering so as not to disturb the atmosphere.

   The tree by the well is covered with "clooties", little cloths tied on by pilgrims.  Each represented a wish or hope of the person.  We all whispered our prayers and tied on the cloths I'd brought with me for just this purpose.  Then I splashed water from the sacred spring all over me, praying for recovery and strength and a meaningful pilgrimage.  All the while the only sound we heard was the bubbling of the stream and the plaintive call of the cuckoo.

    I read the legend of St. Colman to my friends as we picnicked in the  ruins of the tiny chapel build hundreds of years ago on the site.  Weaving the stories into the landscape is an important part of this pilgrimage for me and I was so happy to share it with my friends.

   This is one of the "secret" places of the Burren...one few people bother to visit.  It is such a wonderful experience I hope, should you make your own journey to the Burren, you take the time to visit this enchanted glen.

    

4 comments:

Mystic Meandering said...

Sounds like Divine Immersion :) Even the colors there have a mystical, ephemeral quality! Is that really purple in the rocks?! Everything is "dripping in mystery" to be sure! And I can just make out a cairn that looks like a faery portal on the right...

Patricia Turner said...

The colors and the atmosphere were super saturated. A breath taking location. The portal on the right is the entrance to the well or fairy swimming pool!

Mystic Meandering said...

Oooo - a faery swimming pool!? You are most blessed! :)

Unknown said...

"If fairies do exist, they would live here for sure." I totally agree! It was my favorite Sacred site we visited. I can still hear the trickling of the stream!