Sunday, May 18, 2014

Another clothes line, another message....

   The day I made this photograph I was feeling really unwell.  I couldn't even venture out into the beautiful landscape.  But, after this winter of receiving the near to hand, I wasn't surprised to see this humble metaphor directly out the back door of the cottage.

   I've always love photographing clothes lines...usually in black and white with elegantly billowing sheets in the wind.  Today these cheery plastic clothes pins greeted me and they had a totally different tale to tell.
  
      Clothes pins have no purpose without clothes to hang yet these seemed content to spin in the wind, bright spots of color in a green/grey world.  They were happy to just patiently wait until someone needed them again.  We human beings, or I should say "human doings", are never content to just spin in the wind...we need a purpose, a function to fulfill.  These low days, as I struggle to get back on my feet, I will follow their advise.  I'll just spin in the wind and wait until I can perform my function again as a traveler and a pilgrim.  It won't be long!


4 comments:

kimmanleyort said...

I love photographing clotheslines too. What a wonderful metaphor you found for them.

Patricia Turner said...

Yes, what is it about clothes lines? Thank you for your comment Kim.

Robin Easton said...

I've always loved EVERYTHING about clothes lines, and have used them a lot over the years. But even more interesting, I find even a line with JUST clothes pins on it oddly comforting. It evokes a safe feeling in my body and a sense that the world is all right and will be all right. I love your post and found it through my dear friend, Joy, of Facets of Joy. I too am a photographer, mainly a nature photographer, but love to photograph whatever catches my eye. Nature photography is a most serene and captivating meditation for me. Looking at the world through a camera lens is a life altering experience for me and many others. Thank you for such a magical post. Robin Easton. :)

Patricia Turner said...

Welcome to A Photographic Sage, Robin. I hope you find inspiration here. Finding the metaphors in the landscape is a passion for me...each day is lesson, an exploration of the wisdom of all that surrounds us.