Saturday, May 17, 2014

Go with the flow, Bend with the Wind

   The wind is a constant presence here on the Burren.  Both nature and the inhabitants work with it rather than fight it.

You can't change the wind, adjust your
 sails instead.

   Here is a photograph that illustrates both approaches.  The tree grows with its back to the wind allowing the gales to blow safely over it.  The people build their stone walls with gaps so that, again, the wind can pass through.  How much of our life would be that much easier if we just learned this simple lesson.  I think this will be my Icon of the experience here in the Burren.

   With my medical condition, I have had to adopt this approach.  I can't change what is tormenting my body.  I have to take care of what I can and not push myself.  I may not be doing all the things I'd hope to on this journey but the lessons and the experience can still be enriching. My little Vade Mecum is giving me all sorts of inspiration and comfort.

   Today I celebrate my 65th birthday with friends in Glasgow, Scotland. A BIG threshold met and crossed.  Now I can take advantage of the senior citizen discounts!  How odd it sounds to say that...

 

8 comments:

OddZenEnz said...

Happy Birthday!......enjoy Scotland....

Mary Lynn said...

Happy Birthday, Patricia! I am glad that you can be exactly where you wanted to be on this day!

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Mary Lynn. I spent a beautiful day on a holy island with my friends walking through a woodland covered with bluebells! Heavenly!

Mystic Meandering said...

Happy 65th Patricia! A milestone day - crossing a threshold indeed... I will cross that later this year :) Am glad you are able to enjoy it despite the limitations of your illness.

The clouds in your photo are absolutely mystical looking! And I love the story of leaving opening for the wind to go through... It reminds me of sailing when you tac into the wind, always changing your direction so you can catch the wind in the sail and ride with the wind! :)

Patricia Turner said...

The way they accommodate the wind is a lesson to be learned...don't fight what you cannot change, change your attitude instead!

Lisa Gordon said...

A very Happy Birthday to you!!

Avis A. said...

Happy belated birthday, Patricia! Hope you feel better soon. I'm enjoying reading your blog!

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Avis! I am feeling better...step by step. It is all part of this journey I'm on.