Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Last Post from a Photographic Sage-in-training...

Crossing Over and Moving On
New beginnings are sometimes
disguised as painful endings.
- Lao Tzu


My Dear Friends,

   I have decided, after long consideration, to end my daily postings on A Photographic Sage.  I have so enjoyed these past three years of writing but sometimes one just knows that it is time to move on. I've notice that many of my posts in the last few weeks have been about changing directions, journeying home and other ideas that spoke to this coming conclusion.

   Perhaps it was my experience during my Threshold Pilgrimage last spring that awakened something inside of me but when I returned home to Maine I just knew I'd crossed a threshold I hadn't been expecting to cross and that I needed to bring closure to this chapter in my life at some point and that time is now.

   Somehow, I think it is fitting that I have chosen to end this blog on February 1st which is the feast day of St. Brigid.  I've always felt a warm and special connection with Celtic spirituality and I feel it appropriate to begin my new journey on her day.  I share her wishes for all of you...

I would like an abundance of peace.
 I would like full vessels of charity. 
I would like rich treasures of mercy.
 I would like cheerfulness to preside over all.

- St. Brigid of Kildare (451 - 523)


   This blog will remain online even though I won't be posting so that should you wish to read some old posts or access the links I've provided you will be able to do so.

   I hope that during this time you have been inspired in some small way to embrace contemplative photography.  It is truly a wonderful way of walking through the world and I will continue to explore the metaphors I find everywhere I look, of that you can be sure. I will post a daily image and reflection on my photo journal, Memories4Me, and you might like to check that out from time time. I will be posting Poetry of Place photographs from my year's work at the pond on my journal and on my Google+ page  along with other interesting things I come across whether they be photography related or not. I hope you will follow along as I discover new ways to interpret this unique landscape.  You can also access my Pinterest page where I will continue to add new resources for your journey.  May I also suggest you go mining in the archives for inspiration.  There are over 800 posts there.  If you are relatively new to the blog I am sure you will find something to tickle your contemplative soul.

   I will also use my Google+ page to write short reflections on contemplative photography so I have no intention of giving up that part of my life, it is way too important to me to leave behind.  But with continuing with the pond series and then preparing for the show of work in late August, my immersion (there's my word!) in family genealogy, my "soulcollaging" and my passion for book arts, I felt the need to simplify my life a bit.
 
   Thank you, all my loyal readers, you have been an inspiration to me on my journey and I appreciated all your thoughtful comments.  I wish you all the very best on your photographic journey, wherever it may take you.

   Of course, I cannot conclude without some final words of wisdom from one so much wiser than myself.  Despite the blog's title, I've always considered myself merely a "photographic sage-in-training".   I will leave you with this parting thought which is really the heart of the contemplative photography process for me... 

 “To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place… I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.”  - Elliott Erwitt, 1928

With Kindest Regards and many Blessings,

Patricia Turner

  

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad to see you go but I certainly understand. All things must come to an end. You have been such an inspiration in more ways than one. Look forward to visiting you in the future at your other sites...
Blessings to you too.

Unknown said...

I will miss your Blog Patricia but I fully understand why you are letting it go.
All my best,
Virginia

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you for you comment and I will enjoy following along with your new blog as well. We share a love of gardening as well as contemplative photography!

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Virginia. I will be posting short contemplative reflections on photography, and many other topics, on my Google+ page. Check in from time to time!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Virginia. I'm a semi-pro photographer and you've really helped me look at photography in a new way.

Mystic Meandering said...

Endings and Beginnings - yes... And always more thresholds to cross :) Wishing you continued inspirations and "inner awakenings" through your photography! And thank you for your lovely offerings here! How exciting to hear that you are doing family genealogy! I used to do a *lot* of that as well. It's pretty addicting and time consuming, but so much fun! I still dabble from time to time.
Blessings for the next chapter in your journey! ;)

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you for you kind remarks. I will continue to follow along with your wonderful blog and be sure to stop by my Google + page from time to time. My very best to you on your "meanderings"!

Ms. Becky said...

Oh man I'm truly going to miss your posts. I do understand your letting go and moving on but your blog has been such an inspiration for me. Wishing you all the best and thanks for the depth and wisdom you've shared.

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad I inspired you a bit. May I suggest, if you haven't been with the blog from the beginning, that you go back to the archives and start with the first post in January 2012? This is why I am leaving up the blog for the foreseeable future so people can "mine it".

Bill DeLanney said...

Happy and Sad. Happy for you and truly understanding. Your thoughts and photographs have been very helpful to me in understanding life.Wish you the best in life.

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you so much Bill. I've been getting such wonderful responses to my last post...both on this blog and through emails. It warms my heart! I wish you all the best as well!

Kim Stevens said...

That quote is one of my favorites for the very same reason. I wish you much luck and joy in your genealogy adventure. My daughter has completed book number 2 so I know how much time is involved in this work.

I admire your decision to follow your heart and cross the threshold. Wishing you all the best in all your new endeavors.

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. This was a very difficult decision for me since I have loved writing this blog and the people I've met along the way. I will continue to follow my heart which is fully involved with contemplative photography. This will endure long after the genealogy project is done because it is at the core of who I am.

Elaine Schaffner said...

Yours is an insightful decision based on listening to that inner voice that you are so attuned to. New beginnings & new opportunities await! That blessed and magical synchronicity that works so well for you will surely present something longed for yet not quite realized. I look forward to seeing what that may be. In the meantime, I'm happy to know that I can still enjoy this site and future photos. Thank you for your dedication to sharing over these last few years.

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Elaine for your kind words. I too await the magic of new beginnings. As I've always said, I will travel to where I need to go and see what I need to see and that will open up new doors I'm sure!

kimmanleyort said...

Patricia, I'm sorry that I'm just reading this now! I'm on the road heading south, and had much to do in preparation before I left. This blog has been like a second home for me. I found a kindred spirit in you, and always knew I could come here for a lift or a new insight. I totally understand, yet at the same time know that you MUST express yourself. I will follow you at your other blog and on Google+ and look forward to seeing how your Poetry of Place project evolves. Take care, my friend!

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you so much Kim! Never fear...I will be expressing myself in so many different ways in the years to come. Just knew it was time to "cross over and move on". Thank you for being such a loyal follower of the blog. I too feel we are kindred spirits in so many ways. I hope we have an opportunity to work together (or just hang out!)in the future. Blessing on wherever your journey takes you!

Sandra said...

I have enjoyed coming in here from time to time. How wise to follow your inner voice and move on to where you need to go.

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Sandra. I hope you have enjoyed the posts. I certainly have enjoyed writing them! And you are so right...when my inner voice whispers, I listen. Blessings on your journey!