Thursday, May 15, 2014

Eroded by time...

   The limestone pavings of the Burren are like organic, free form shapes.  They have been eroded over centuries by the wind and rain.  I couldn't help but think of the Taoist idea of the power and centrality of water.  Nothing can resist it given time yet it remains fluid, reflecting the sky, conforming to whatever container it finds itself in but remaining the strongest, most enduring element.  A good role model I always thought.

   I will soon be reaching my 65th milestone.  I must admit that I sometimes feel a bit worn down, like these stones.  But what I noticed is that unlike the smooth, bold boulders, these pavings are so much more beautiful in their softly undulating forms.

   Showing your age should not be a problem except in our youth focused culture.  I don't mind crossing that threshold, into my "golden years".  Whenever I complain about a creaky knee or some other random ache, I will remember these stones.  Time has sculpted me as well and I wouldn't exchange those experiences for anything in the world.

  

No comments: