Monday, January 27, 2014

A Matter of Perspective...

   Being confined to my house because of repetitive storms, ice and general nasty weather, I've been thinking about perspective.  If I could never leave this house, and the world was limited to what I could see out my windows, what would that do to my viewpoint?

   I was watching my cat lying on the ottoman at my feet.  His world is like my temporary condition, contained within these walls most of the time.  Then he did what cats do a lot, he hung his head over the edge of the ottoman and looked at me...up side down!

   Does he do that just for the fun of seeing me hanging from the ceiling or is it some subtle way he has to experience the world in a different way? (Best not try to over-think this!)

   Later, when I was in the breakfast room, I looked out the window and there was the concept illustrated in miniature.

   The tiny glass ornament a friend had given me for Christmas inverted my view of the woods across the street. It was a delightful little "breadcrumb" to pick up with my camera and think about.

   The message was clear...every once in awhile turn the world on its ear!  Shift perspective, figuratively or literally.  Another friend had sent me a quotation on New Years day and it is very appropriate to this post and the new year so I will close with it...

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
-T. S. Eliot, Four Quartets


4 comments:

foxysue said...

Such a lovely post, perspective, way of looking at things....
Very refreshing. x

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Sue. You will see in some up-coming posts that your work has given me a fresh perspective as well. It is good to shake things up from time to time and try something new,

kimmanleyort said...

I love the way your cat suggested a different perspective and then you saw it! How serendipitous. Beautiful image too.

Patricia Turner said...

Emerson is a constant inspiration to me; such a sweet soul. The spirit whispers to us in so many ways. We just have to keep our heart open to the messages!