Saturday, November 15, 2014

Dispensing with the Need to Know...

   I posted this image of a little puddle of water that I glimpsed outside by bathroom window on my photojournal recently.  My first reaction was, "How beautiful!". My second reaction was "Why did the ice form in those triangles?".

   A person commented on the photograph by saying that perhaps we should simply attend to the beauty and dispense with the need to know why...he was so right!

   I am a naturally curious person.  I am that little girl who would sit with our set of encyclopedias by the hour just soaking in all the "whys" and "wherefores".   But this gentleman was so spot on in his comment and as a contemplative photographer, I should know that the appreciation of beauty does not require our knowing why it is the way it is.  We can just revel in the thing itself.

Observe the wonders as they occur
around you.  Don't claim them. Feel
the artistry moving through and
be silent.
- Rumi



No comments: