Monday, November 3, 2014

Gathering Breadcrumbs on a Woodland Walk...

   I can certainly empathize with Louis Agassiz.  My small backyard offers endless opportunities to explore.  I took a walk on a pleasant Sunday just a few days before hunting season would make this far less enjoyable for me.

   It was quite mild and wonderfully quiet in my little wood a few hundred yards from the house.  I seemed to fixate on the moss and lichen on this walk.  Every walk brings some new point of view it seems.  I've lived here 19 years and I always find something new.

   A friend sent me a notice about an exhibit, Walden Re-Visited in which contemporary artists use Thoreau's Walden Pond as an inspiration for their work.  Every time I walk in my woods or visit the little pond down the road, Thoreau is in my mind.  His influence continues to be felt 160 years after the publication of his seminal book.  Here are a few more of my breadcrumbs from that walk and a few Thoreau quotes as well...






An early-morning walk is a
 blessing for the whole day.











 
 
Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it.
 
 





In human intercourse the tragedy begins, not when there is misunderstanding about words, but when silence is not understood.



 


If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen.





 

No comments: