Saturday, November 23, 2013

The A, B, C's of Contemplative Photography - S

S is for Self-revealing (and also for Shadow, and Soul Searching, and Sanctuary, and Seeing, and Sense, and....)

Revelation of one's thoughts, emotions,
 or attitudes, intentionally or unintentionally.

   All images a photographer makes, whether he is a contemplative photographer or not, are self-revealing.  It is the nature of the medium.  We are attracted to things that reflect some facet of our self and those are the things we make photographs of.

   I think the important part of the definition above are the last three words...intentionally or unintentionally.  For me at least, it is very often an unintentional process.  The "Ah Ha" moment comes later, when I spend time with my photographs.  It also comes when I am photographing with other people.  I sometimes just stand back and watch what it is that is pulling their lenses to it.  Sometimes I'm quite surprised.

   I don't think it is a good idea to intentionally go looking for particular subjects but, rather, to let them find you.  I remember an old adage that is apropos here:

"If you hunt where only rabbits live, all
you will catch is rabbits."

    I suppose you could re-word it a bit and say, "If you look only for rabbits, you may miss the fox or the mushroom or the....".  Well, you get the point.  Let the landscape reveal what it will.  All you need do is to stay open to it.  I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
 

No comments: