Saturday, November 2, 2013

The A,B,C's of Contemplative Photography - Perspicacity

P is for Perspicacity (and also for Ponder and Perception and Perspective and Percolate...) 

A penetrating discernment...a clarity
of vision which provides deep understanding

   I suppose that this is what I strive for most in my camera work...a clarity of vision.  There are so many factors that contribute to a cloudy perception not the least of which is the burden of expectation.

   This is particularly true when you travel or make a special trip to a location because you were told it is a great place to photograph.  You go expecting, what?  Great images?  A unique experience?  A revelation of some kind?  Very often you are, well, let down.

   Clarity of vision and a penetrating discernment begins with an open mind and a non-judgmental attitude. My only expectation is that  I will see what I need to see even if it isn't what others think I should see.

   This is particularly true for me when I visit tourist destinations...like Monhegan Island last June.  I had no idea I would gather this alphabet of images in the village while everyone else was photographing the fog and the cliffs.  I didn't imagine that it would lead to this series on my blog where I've been able to mine a wealth of ideas about my favorite subject, contemplative photography.  But that was what I received because that is what I needed and, as usual, I'm deeply grateful.




No comments: