Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Nuturing your Attentive Eye...

The present moment is filled with
joy and happiness. If you are
 attentive, you will see it.
- Thich Nhat Hahn

   During my month long sabbatical, I have been working quite diligently on nurturing my attentive eye.  Part of my process in doing this is to try and spend time each day attending to the tiny details in the landscape that I find around my home.  I deliberately turned off my "metaphorical mind" so that I could revel in the simple beauty of whatever I found.

   I needed this time to re-acquaint myself with the simply joy of discovery.  I didn't have to rationalize the image or try to make it more than what it was...just a simple attempt to appreciate the beauty we are surrounded by everyday.

   Walking in the garden after a shower offered this cluster of raindrops that I found quite stunning...like tiny diamonds, a group of transient gems along a leaf...here one moment and gone the next.  That is the beauty of taking time to see what Nature offers us, everyday, and in our own backyards.  It is often fleeting, these details of enchantment, and one must make a vow to oneself to seek them out.

Blessed are they who see beautiful
things in humble places where other
people see nothing.

- Camille Pissarro


No comments: