Monday, August 25, 2014

In Praise of Reflections...

   I've become fascinated by the painterly quality of water reflections lately.  This one I made in Ireland but I've focused on reflections in my pond studies of Little Clemons Pond as well.

   The light on the water does wonderful things with shapes and color. I can really see these as paintings as much as photographs.

   It is the poetic nature of reflections that draws me.  Reality subtly altered and transformed.  I find them exquisitely beautiful.  They can have a strong abstract element to them as well, especially if you remove the source of the reflection from the composition and focus only on the reflection.

   This is an image from my "pond ponderings".  I seem drawn each time I go to the pond to see what reflections I can find...how the weather alters the color and tones of the reflections.

   This might make a nice summer/fall series (imagine the fall foliage spilling reds and oranges in the water!) and if you want to learn a bit more about photographing water reflections, you can visit this link for inspiration:




  

No comments: