Monday, August 11, 2014

Reflections on the Tao - Patience

  Nature does not
hurry yet everything
is accomplished.
- Lao Tzu

   The digital camera is both a blessing and a curse.  It simplifies the photographic process to such a degree that we can accomplish in seconds what the 19th century photographer took hours to create.

   It is not just in the processing of the image but in the recording of it that photography has become something of a split second activity...I call it the "click and run" syndrome.

   Yet, we can learn a vital lesson in this thought by the great Taoist master, Lao Tzu.  Slow down, adopt the pace of nature.  You may not make as many images but they may be more evocative.

   I had already photographed the small group of blue flags at the ponds edge and I was about to move on when something told me to draw closer and look deeper.  When I allowed my eye to see beyond the flowers, I caught sight of a beautiful reflection.  I took my time and kept the camera to my eye. Something disturbed the water's surface, perhaps a fish rising to grab a water bug, and it created the soft rings.  It was then I made my photograph.

  The whole process took several minutes to transpire. I'm glad I looked beyond the focal point, into what was around and behind it and I'm very glad I slowed down and let the image emerge on its own.  It let me know when it was time to release the shutter and this is the result.



No comments: