Monday, December 24, 2012

The Man Who Planted Trees...

   Shortly after I wrote the post, The Elemental Self, I found a video of one of my all time favorite books, "The Man Who Planted Trees" by the French author Jean Giono.  Now, you might wonder what that book would have to do with the practice of contemplative photography but, for me, it is the perfect metaphor.  The video is also a beautiful animation of the short story and inspirational on so many levels.  It also reminded me of a lovely story of a little boy and a man who took a walk on a beach....

    ...as the man and boy walk along, they came upon hundreds of small crabs that had been washed up during a storm the day before.  Gently, the little boy picked up a tiny crab and carried to the sea throwing it as far out as he could.  Again and again, he returned to pick up a crab and return it to it's watery home.  The man said, "This is really a hopeless enterprise my boy.  There are hundreds and hundreds of crabs and you can not possibly hope to return them all to the sea.   For all your good intentions, you can't make any difference to their fate."  The little boy paused and said, just before he threw another crab into the sea, "It makes a difference to this one."

   Perhaps I think of this blog as "planting seeds"...I don't know if they will sprout or not but it doesn't matter. It is just something I am bound to do...it is my "job" now and I hope it makes a difference to some people in some small way although I will probably never know. 

     As contemplative photographers, we see the benefit of just taking our time and letting the landscape direct our work.  It will tell us what to do and when.  We don't make our images for any other reason than to fuel our practice of contemplation.  It is a solitary pursuit but it makes a difference to us.  Patience is one of the things we strive for and so is persistence, like the little boy on the beach.  So go out, gather your images and share your thoughts with those around you.  Watch this delightful video and pass it on.  Think of it as planting a seed....



No comments: