Wednesday, May 7, 2014

A Thought for Today - Seek Wisdom


   For my 35 year teaching career I've been the one doing the talking...the proverbial sage on the stage.  Now, I wish to be more of a guide on the side...doing way more listening then talking.  It is, in fact, the first threshold on my pilgrimage which begins on Saturday.

   Another related quote for today is:

The meaning of life is to find your gift.
The purpose of life is to give it away.
- William Shakespeare

   That is what I'm trying to do with this blog...giving away any wisdom I've accumulated over the years as I pursued my twin passions, teaching and photography.  Feel free to copy and print out anything you see contained on this blog that may be of some use to you.  If you use it on the internet I only ask you to link the image back to this blog.  

    I am very excited to begin this journey.  It has been a year in the planning but now is the time I must give up the planning, the expectations, the assumptions.  I must trust that what I need will be there when I need it.  That sort of trust was rewarded yesterday.  I had wanted to include labyrinth walking in each of the three places I will be staying in.  I knew Iona had a labyrinth and Glendalough has one but I didn't think there was on in the Burren region.  Then, completely by chance, I discovered that there was one, an amazing one not very far from where I will be staying...Aistear Iniscealtra.  It is in the town where I will be getting a boat to visit the  Holy Island!  I also learned that aistear is the Gaelic word for journey...iniscealtra means holy island.

   I was delighted to find this labyrinth and these new words and it made me realize how often, when we sincerely and whole heartedly project a desire, it comes to us.  It was like my wondering the other day where I would find a wifi connection in the little village of Ballyvaughan and then, yesterday morning, the rental agent sent me 3 locations!  Ask and ye shall receive...seek and ye shall find.  Could be my motto for this trip!

No comments: