Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Way of Water...

The Ocean at Peace
Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child. Remember you are half water. If you can’t go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.
-Margaret Atwood

   Water is the ultimate metaphor in Taoism and this passage from Margaret Atwood explains it so perfectly. I especially like the sentence that reminds us that we are half water.  When we are born we are nearly 75% water but we continue to loose water as we age.  We never loose our attraction to the watery world though.  Years ago I had contemplated a move to the Southwest but I just couldn't do it.  I couldn't be that far from the sea!  The sea pulls me to it, that's probably another reason I love islands so much...I'm completely surrounded by water!

   Photographing water, reflections, light on the surface, it's movement or stillness, is a wonderful resource for contemplative photographers. With 70% of the earth's surface covered with water, we have lots of opportunities to explore this metaphor.  I have friends who grew up in the mid-west who prefer lakes to the ocean.  I'll admit, the sea can be a bit scary in its vastness and power but that is part of its attraction to me.  After all, we are creatures of the sea and we are reminded of it every time we taste the salt of our tears.

  




No comments: