Tuesday, April 16, 2013

On Location - Peter's Valley Swamp

The Living Among the Dead
   This is a new one for me...photographing in a swamp!  I had to fight hoards of nasty black flies but the light and color was so lovely I couldn't resist.  Even in this seemingly most undesirable of locations there is beauty.  There is surely a lesson in that.

   Travel to new places opens your eyes and your heart to the unexpected.  It is why I make a real effort to get out of my comfort zone!   Today, I am at the Abbey at Gethsemane in Kentucky.  To walk in the footsteps of Thomas Merton will be a wonderful experience I'm sure and I'm hoping to connect with a monk that knew him well and who is also a poet and photographer!

   Internet access is very limited here, so unless I am able to pull myself away from the monastery and journey into town to the local library, I will be "out of touch" until Friday.  Perhaps you can go back to earlier posts that you may have missed but know that I am thinking of you and wandering the grounds photographing this lovely place!  I will have a lot to share with you in a few days.  Contemplative photography in a place of contemplation... what could be more perfect!






No comments: