Sunday, March 31, 2013

"Wherever you go, there you are"...

A Lone Lamb on Inis Oirr
   The title of this post comes from St. Brigid of Kildare, one of my favorite sources of inspiration.  It really speaks to one of my continual themes in this blog...you are your photographs.  It also underscores the idea that we will receive the images we need to make if we keep an open heart and a non-judgmental attitude.

     As I make final plans for my first extended road trip in April, it is good to remind myself that I will bring my own thoughts and struggles with me along with my luggage.  So many people expect travel to be something miraculous, live changing, and are often disappointed when it is - well - not.  We always expect the new place to be somehow better than the old place.  This is especially true when we make big trips overseas.  Ah, the demon of expectation!

   What I have learned over the last 10 years of extensive, round the world travel is that whatever happens, or doesn't happen, you will be where you need to be.  Don't worry about flight cancellations or pouring rain or, in the case of this image, sea sickness that  made me get off the boat at Inis Oirr rather that traveling on to Inis Mor, where I had wanted to go.  I trusted that I would see wonderful things anyway...and I did.  I could have regretted what I didn't get to photograph on Inis Mor or I could be thankful for what I was able to photograph on Inis Oirr....I chose the latter. 

   So, no matter what happens on this trip to Kentucky, what I see or don't see, it doesn't matter.  I will try to pay close attention to whatever does cross my path and leave my "expectations" on a shelf back at home!



No comments: