Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Trust the Process...

   Contemplative photography, like every other form of art, is a process.  And sometimes, especially when one is feeling a bit stuck, it is important to remember to trust that process.  You will see the things you need to see, you will be where you need to be and the meaning of the images will reveal itself to you in time.  You simply have to have faith.

   I write this daily photo blog and I also post daily to my photojournal.  It can get a bit overwhelming at times.  Those are the very times when I need to step back and put my trust in the process that has always worked for me in the past.  I simply stay open to random influences that will, all of a sudden, open my eyes to  new photographic possibilities.

   I am reading a wonderful book that mentions the Einstein concept of seeing time as a river that bends and curves; a river we drift along in but which we can step out of if we choose.  When I looked out my kitchen window a little while later I saw this...a visual translation of the passage I just read. 

   Little clues, small illuminations, subtle messages are all around us all the time. They needn't be earth shattering or mind blowing either...just gentle nudges for the soul to contemplate. Being intensely involved with my genealogical research of late, it was a most important image for me to see at this moment and I didn't even have to leave my house to see it.  I did walk out back to make the photograph but it was a walk of about 50 feet.  The point is, one must remain open to any and all influence...let it sink in and filter its way through your consciousness and eventually it will direct you to a new moment of clarity.  Trust but don't force the process.  Let it just flow like Einstein's river...




2 comments:

foxysue said...

A timely post for me thank you, sometimes your trust in the process is tested! Reading this today was something I need to be reminded of! x

Patricia Turner said...

It certainly is but you are such a talented photographer you just have to step back and let it happen!