Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Inspired by Francine Prose...

   Someone said I had to read this book.  "Why?" I asked. "Because there is photographer in it and I know you love Paris...what other reason do you need?"  What indeed!

   So I read Lovers at the Chameleon Club and she was right, it is a wonderful book about the avant-guarde of Paris in the early 1930's.  The photographer is one of the voices of the book, among several others.  It is beautifully written and captivating but I really didn't think I would find inspiration for contemplative photography amongst its pages...I would have been wrong.

I've developed a reputation as someone who can't walk out the door without seeing something magical.  There's nothing occult about it.  I've trained myself to notice the details, and I do my legwork, pounding the sidewalks to double my chances of being present when a miracle occurs.
   - Gabor Tsenyi

   I think I have that same reputation among my friends but this quotation reminds me that it takes constant effort.  It happens when you spend a lot of time "pounding the sidewalks" or, in my case, walking the banks of my pond.  It is not a hit or miss thing.  It takes persistence, one of my four "Be's" of contemplative photography.  You have to work at it.  

   The "work" is simply showing up, everyday, with an open heart and an open mind. Another great writer, a poet this time, Emily Dickinson said it best...

The Soul should always stand ajar,
ready to welcome the ecstatic experience.





2 comments:

foxysue said...

How lovely! x

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Sue. I do believe each walk can reveal wonders...even if it's only in your own back yard.