Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Contemplative Poetry Series - William Wordsworth



  There was a time when
meadow, grove,
And stream,
The earth, and every
common sight,
To me did seem
Apparelled in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness
of a dream.



The Poetry of Place:
Reflections from the Edge of the Pond
28 September 2014


   The pond did, indeed, seem cloaked in celestial light that day.  There was a stillness and softness to the air and I could have sat on the shore forever.  These moments come and go and the value of re-visiting a place again and again is that there is more opportunity to be present when these moments occur.

   As I sat there I wondered, just how long will this heavenly peace last?  When will the buzz of chain saws and the rumble of backhoes start?  How long will this pond remain pristine?  It makes my Poetry of Place project all the more compelling for me.  I want future generations to know that at one time the pond was like this...undefiled and a haven of peace.





2 comments:

Dotti said...

I will confess I've never been much on poetry. Prose is another matter. But I am enjoying your series. This photo is all about splendor. Beautiful.

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you, Dotti! It truly was a splendid day.