Friday, April 4, 2014

My Cup of Inspiration Runneth Over...

   I am not on Facebook (that's a whole other story!) but I have embraced Google+, another on-line social media network and here's why.  I find so many inspirational things, I can't fit them all on this blog.  So, now I post the "spill over" on Google+.  Many are not photography related in the strictest sense but they are just plain interesting nonetheless.  Like my discovery of Friendship, Maine artist Brian White.

   White fashions beautiful clothing out of seashells.  "Island Bride" is totally breathtaking.  You can see it at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts, the oldest museum in the US being founded in 1799 and one of my all time favorite places to spend a day.

   My ancestors, on my mother's side, were sea captains who sailed out of Portland, Maine in the mid-1800's.  I've always been transfixed by the sea and the sailor's artistic creations, like scrimshaw and the shell valentines, that they would make on their long journeys.  This dress references the latter New England craft tradition and takes it one step further as all great art does.

   You never know where one inspiration will lead you...check out the link to my Google+ home page from time to time to see what has inspired me lately.  The link is always available in the links section of the side bar.



  

No comments: