Thursday, February 6, 2014

Portrait of a Squirrel...

   In my on-going attempt to practice Wu Wei this winter and photograph only what comes to me, I submit my formal portrait of Gaylord.  He kindly submitted to my efforts at winter portraiture and it only cost me a handful of sunflower seeds.

   I know Gaylord because of his notched right ear.  Of all the grey squirrels that visit my feeding table, he is the tamest.  I've enjoyed his antics all winter so I thought he deserved being immortalized.

   Sharing his gentle nature with the world just makes me smile.  This photograph reminds me of one of those old Flemish portraits I've seen in the museum.  Such a coy expression and that halo of fur!

   Now, some of my friends are beginning to think I need to get out more but honestly I love these quiet sheltered days around the fire.  Studying the lovely light on Gaylord's fur is a very pleasant contemplative activity.  It also serves to remind myself that all Nature is sacred and is worthy of our attention and appreciation.  You might consider the contemplative possibilities of Natures smallest creatures.... (Sorry, got to run...Gaylord's seed bowl is empty again!)


4 comments:

Mystic Meandering said...

Wonderful photo of Gaylord! He makes me smile too :) I can tell he has fallen in love with you! LOL That halo of fur is definitely exquisite. It's a wonderful contemplative piece. I could view it for hours, and fall in love with Gaylord...

Patricia Turner said...

OOOO! I can't wait to tell Gaylord that he has a secret Valentine! Contemplative subject matter with whiskers! But, who is contemplating who?

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh my goodness, what a handsome fella that Gaylord is. I think he likes the camera too!

Like you, I really have enjoyed many of the days that were simply too cold to be able to enjoy outside. It puts an entirely new perspective on things, and I like that.

Patricia Turner said...

I think I have to start a Gaylord Fan Club! Yes, he is a handsome little guy and I think he knows which is his good side!