Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Contemplative Possibilities - Nature's Sculptures

   John O'Donohue often referred to God as the great artist.  I would have to agree.  I love coming across tiny examples of Nature's artistry.

This little ice sculpture was right outside the window next to my desk where I write these blog posts.

  In fact, I was writing yesterday's post when I discovered this tiny frozen ice sculpture. So delicate and I love the muted background with the dark lines that seem to set off the icy foreground shape.

   I had to marvel at this ice formation.  One usually sees icicles hanging straight down but these formed at an angle.  Perhaps the wind was blowing as the water dripped off the roof.  No matter.  I don't need to know the "how" to appreciate the result!

    This is another example of the practice of Wu Wei, which I spoke about yesterday.  I simply had to sit quietly at my desk and look out the window...beauty a few inches away.  In this case, the photograph was even better than the reality...blurring out and subduing the background distractions to enhance the focal point.  Why not spend some time gazing out your window this week and see what you discover in your own back (or front) yard!




No comments: