Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify....

Containing the Things that Frighten Us
   During the last several months I have been attempting to simplify my life by purging unnecessary things around my house.  I'm nearly finished wading through my bookshelves boxing up all but my most essential texts.  I'm also working on the cupboards, closets and attic and I am being merciless.  Things I am unsure of I put aside to reconsider but inevitably I decide they must go.  It is a wonderful and liberating experience.

   I've also decided to dispense with my photography website since I'm in the process of transferring the folios of images to this blog so you just have to click on one in the right side bar under "Pages" to see a slide show through Picasa Web Albums.  What could be more simple!

   Now that I've decided to focus my efforts on my writing and lecturing/teaching rather than worrying about self-promotion and exhibiting, I wanted to consolidate everything.  A separate website seemed superfluous and a bit pretentious.   Now I only have one place to manage which will leave me more time to make the images in the first place as well as some extra money for the travel fund.  Yes, simplifying your life can be very satisfying!  

   At the start of this year I told you about the word I have chosen to reflect on this year...pathways.  It has been a very instructive one for me.  I have finally, after nearly eight years, settled on a direction, a pathway, that feels just right to me. Through this year I will continue to explore contemplative photography both in my field work, reflections, and especially on this blog.  I am very thankful for all of you, all over the world, who have decided to take this journey with me...you are an inspiration.  I've added one last quotation which I found very enlightening, which settle me firmly on this pathway and which might also be helpful for you as well....

"We must be willing to let go of the life
we have planned, so as to have the life
that is waiting for us."

-E.M. Forster

No comments: