Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Inspired by William Blake...

To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.

William Blake

 
   Until fairly recently, I didn't photograph much in color, so enamored was I with the monochrome image.  I still am but I've now embraced color with equal passion partly because of William Blake and Rumi. (See my "Inspired by..." post on Rumi here.)

   In my exclusively monochrome phase, I didn't photograph flowers much with a couple of exceptions.  After all, isn't a major element of flowers their color? But the the mere idea of seeing "heaven in a wild flower" was a bit too much for me to ignore.

   These wild geraniums have such an ethereal quality to them...like angel wings.  So delicate and sweet and perfect in their simplicity.  I think I will be paying a lot more attention to the "lilies of the field" from now on!

   So, what inspires you?  What causes your heart to soar at the mere mention of it?  If you keep a journal, consider spending a day jotting down things that spark your imagination.  I sometimes create what I call "inspiration chains".  I write down a word then later go back and add a word that spins off this word...on and on and on until I have a chain of words.  I may end up with an entirely different thought at the end but it will have it's own logic; its own pattern of thought. Remember, contemplative photography is half photography and half contemplation or deep thinking.  This simple exercise will help you fuel your metaphoric mechanism.  With time and patience, you to will be able to see "the world in a grain of sand."

  


No comments: