Saturday, January 5, 2013

PhotoTao Card #14...

Card #14

Praising the Unfathomable
Tao is the great mystery that perplexes us all
because it cannot be described in words.  We sense 
it but it is existentially elusive. 
- Exercise -
On a day when you are not pressed for time, take
a drive with no destination in mind.  Turn only
when you feel the urge...follow your heart's GPS 
and not your map.  Stop often.  Get out and look
around.  Let your senses and intuition guide you.  
Explore and keep an open mind.  Take your time
and just experience the place you find yourself in.
You are where you need to be wherever you are!
Only then make your photographs.


   My 2007 trip to Japan was with a group of educators from
across the US.  We were there, by invitation of the Japanese government, to visit schools and colleges and confer with Japanese educators.  Our days were planned from morning to night with hardly a moment to spare.  One day, however, was set aside for us to do whatever we wanted and I headed off to Chiba.  I met an American who had been living in Japan for some time and he asked me what I wanted to do.  I said, "Let's just wander about and see what we find."  What we stumbled onto was this Buddhist shrine.  I spend an hour wandering around and making a series of photographs.  When my friend asked if I wanted to move on I said no.  This was where I needed to be and I was content to explore the abstract qualities of this amazing place.  I've always remembered that day and try to do some "purposeless wandering" wherever I travel.
 

No comments: