Saturday, July 20, 2013

The A, B, C's of Contemplative Photography: A

A is for Awareness (and also for Attention and Attraction and Awe and acumen)    

    After I completed my Monhegan alphabet, I got to wondering if I could create a contemplative photography A, B, C!  I think it would be an interesting challenge and I invite you all to chime in with suggestions as we go along.  If you can think of any A words that would be appropriate, please post a comment and I will add them to the list above! This may offer some interesting and insightful ideas and it is also a way to review and expand upon some ideas I have already posted. I will do another letter from time to time but they will all be in the subject list on the right under A Contemplative Alphabet so if you miss one you can catch up.

   I've done a post on the idea of "paying attention". (You should read the post if you missed it, the quantum physics thing is really fascinating.) This is a crucial skill for the contemplative photographer but so is awareness. One is the off shoot of the other...we are aware of only the things we pay attention to. Awareness is a cognitive reaction to something but does not imply understanding. It is the first step for a contemplative photographer, as well as our first letter in the contemplative alphabet. No need to fully understand what you are looking at, just LOOK!  Become aware and pay attention.

    When you heighten your awareness it can be a blessing as well as a curse, trust me, I'm speaking from experience. I notice EVERYTHING!  Nothing escapes my attention.   Sometimes I have to turn if off so I can just get on with things!  But I would rather be that way than completely unaware of my surroundings. What I have found in time is that while I may be hyper-aware, I now pay attention to and am attracted by only the things that fill my heart.   Those are the things that I end up making photographs of.

 
     

1 comment:

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you John O! I've updated the post to include "awe"...a very appropriate word for out alphabet! Cultivating awe is a good practice for contemplative photographers!