Friday, September 19, 2014

Weekend Retreat at St. Joseph's Abbey...

   I leave for the St. Joseph Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts today.  It is my first monastic retreat since staying at Gethsemani Abbey in Kentucky last year.  (You can read about that experience here...)

   My friends often wonder about my fascination for monastic retreats.  Being raised Protestant, it is not something I grew up with.  I must confess, I love the sublime quiet and introspection I find in a monastery, especially Trappist ones who practice the vow of silence.

   After my wonderful and "wordsful" weekend on Star Island, I long for the serenity of having a "wordless" experience.  It will be only me, my camera and my journal.  I've often said monastic retreats are a way for me to recharge my contemplative batteries.  I have two wonderful and inspirational books to bring and the weather looks like it will be ideal but the weather would have made no difference.  If there is anything I have learned from my years of practicing contemplative photography it is this.  We will receive the images we need, when we need them.  We may think we are there to photograph one thing but, in truth, we are there to receive the photographs we are gifted.  Once I settled into this frame of mind I found the experience, wherever I am, so much richer and illuminating.

   I've never visited St. Joseph's but I've bought their jams and jellies for years.  They are also the only Trappist brewery in America and no, before you start to giggle, that is not why I'm going there!  I am just seeking out a contemplative location I don't have to travel 3,000 miles to stay in and this one is in a particularly beautiful location.  I hope you have a lovely and contemplative weekend as well, no matter where you are or what you do.

   You can read other posts from Gethsemani...




  

2 comments:

foxysue said...

I enjoyed reading this Patricia, I feel the serenity already that you are contemplating on your trip, I hope you get your batteries recharged...x

Patricia Turner said...

Thank you Sue. I always seem to come away from these experiences with a renewed passion for the contemplative life.