Monday, September 29, 2014

Inspired by Eeyore

  I find much wisdom and inspiration in children's books.  The stories of A.A. Milne being some of my favorite.  I've always held that the characters in his famous Winnie-the-Pooh stories are archetypes for the human condition.

   In general, I think I am a bit like Winnie but we all possess the characteristics of all the friends at Pooh Corner from time to time.  Who hasn't had a down day when the grumblings of Eeyore seem so apropos?   I'm taking these Eeyore quotes for today's inspiration. 

   I am a great fan of weeds.  There stubbornness and persistence and their will to live is admirable.  Perhaps we might wish they would choose to live elsewhere than in the beds of our flower gardens but some I allow to stay, like the wild phlox.

   The lady who helps me with my garden from time to time, a professional master gardener, shakes her head at this but I don't care, "Weeks are flowers too, once you get to know them."

   At the risk of sounding like a complete crack pot, I do talk to my plants on occasion. I always have.  But this final bit of inspiration from Eeyore is equally important and one I try to practice daily during the gardening season.

"I was just sittin' here enjoyin'
the company.  Plants got
a lot to say, if you take
the time to listen."
- Eeyore
  

  Even though the gardening season is at an end here in Maine, there are still plenty of plants you can commune with. The fall asters are still "buzzing".  Makes you want to take a cup of tea out to the garden, doesn't it!  Don't forget your camera!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Related Past Post:




No comments: