Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Right Balance - a Personal Reflection...

Find the Right Balance - South Uist, Scotland
  ( This is another in my series of Personal Reflections.  It is where I engage in the kind of reflection that characterizes contemplative photography for me and I hope it stimulates your desire to think about the images you receive through your camera's lens. )

  It seems we, as a society, are always engaged in some sort of conflict...a tug of war of opposing views.  There never seems to be a shortage of folks who will try to persuade you to follow their particular viewpoint. We have become a world of "us vs. them" no matter what the question is.

    Personally,  I try to look at both sides of every question and I can usually find positive points for even widely differing viewpoints. Which way do you turn?  As someone who tries to follow a Taoist path in my life, I usually seek the middle ground and avoid extremes of "left" or "right".  It's not that I don't have strong feelings about issues but I try to keep an open mind and a balanced perspective.  I never thought I would find an image that could serve as an icon for my way of living in the world!  That's what I love about contemplative photography...the truth is often hidden in plain sight.

   The Western Isles of Scotland are clearly divided along religious lines.  This photograph was made at just about that dividing line.  The Southern islands are strongly Catholic and the Northern islands are strictly Protestant but there is no animosity between them. They each go their own way and respect their neighbors beliefs. In our wildly polarize society, where everyone is absolutely sure that their direction is the RIGHT direction, I offer this photograph.  The tiny church sits confidently in the middle and there is a lovely sense of balance here.  Oh, how I wish the rest of the world could reach this kind of equilibrium!  Agree to disagree and dispense with the name calling and hateful rhetoric!  Care for those who need our care and compassion...ask each to pay their fair share and play by the same rules...and just be kind!  Is that too much to ask?


No comments: