Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Solvitur Ambulando...

   Glastonbury Abbey has a stone edged labyrinth and despite the snowstorm, its outline was still visible.  Many of us on the New Years retreat took the time to walk its spiral path.  I particularly loved the little stone sign at the entrance, "Solvitur Ambulando...it is solved by walking".  I find that walking the labyrinth smooths the ground of my mind so when it is time for me to plant the seeds of contemplation, I will be ready.  A quiet mind is essential for the contemplative photographer.

Glastonbury Abbey Labyrinth
   What is it about labyrinths?  My experience at Chartres Cathedral this past summer got me hooked on the practice and when I looked for others in New England, I found a whole website devoted to the practice. If you visit this link, Labyrinth Guild of New England, you can read a short history of the labyrinth and access their listing of places where you can walk.  Wherever you live in the world, there is sure to be a labyrinth you can visit nearby.

   The one here at Glastonbury provides a sheet describing possible ways you can approach the experience but I especially like The Path of Mindfulness - "Walk in a way that brings calm, stability and joy with each step, deeply aware of what is going on within and without." (Thich Nhat Hanh)   Everyone brings to the labyrinth their own story, their own deep concerns but as the stone explains, "it is solved by walking." 

No comments: