Saturday, January 7, 2012

And So The Journey Begins.....

The Way




"One looks, looks long, and the world comes in." - Joseph Campbell

  To photograph contemplatively means to resist the need to "point, shoot and run"; the need to accumulate dozens, maybe hundreds, of images to justify a day on location. It is to be intensely mindful of the special quality of a place, or a person, or a thing and your response to it...to savor the unique experience of that particular moment and to internalize it before you ever reach for the camera.  It is that and much, much more.

    This blog will focus on the musings of one contemplative photographer who also has a love of the wisdom and teachings of Taoist philosophy.  In Taoism, a sage is a wise person, someone who has attained perfect harmony with "The Way".  I've always considered it a beautiful metaphor for the aspiring photographer so I decided, some years back, to become a Photographic Sage-in-Training. 


    Through this blog we will take the journey together. I will offer insights and musings on my particular journey to becoming a Photographic Sage and I look forward to your comments and reflections.

    I will also be posting various links that I think may be helpful to  my Fellow Sages-in-Training. You can never learn enough about this wonderful medium we have committed ourselves to.

    In the meantime, you may wish to visit my website to see a sampling of my photographic work.


 Enjoy your Journey!







1 comment:

Patricia Turner said...

My bags are packed! I can't wait to begin!